Maintenance WorkersTo be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online at: https://www.bchousing.org/careers/current-opportunities (Please search for "3051" in the keywords search box at the top of the page to find this job)
- Join one of BC's Top Employers!
- Use your maintenance and repair experience to help improve the lives of others!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
Build a career with one of BC's Top Employers!
BC Housing is a trusted leader and partner in providing housing solutions for British Columbians. Through safe, affordable and quality housing, we truly make a positive difference in people’s lives and communities.
This year, BC Housing has once again been recognized as one of BC's Top 55 Employers and one of Canada's Greenest Employers! That doesn’t happen by accident. We know that our team of talented and compassionate employees is our greatest asset and ensuring their health and well-being is our number one priority.
Here are just some of the ways we look after our team:
- Three weeks' annual vacation, flexible working arrangements and additional paid personal days off to help you achieve work/life balance
- Flexible benefit options customized for you and your family
- Generous maternity and parental leave top-up payments so you can spend more time with your family
- A wellness rewards program that promotes physical activity and mental well-being
- Free access to on-site fitness facility
If you want to build a successful and rewarding career with BC Housing, please read about the opportunity below or visit www.bchousing.org/careers
An exciting opportunity awaits!
We have an exciting opportunity for multiple, full-time Maintenance Workers to join our team. This is a great opportunity to use your electrical, plumbing, HVAC and carpentry skills to play a pivotal role in the maintenance of social housing buildings across the Province.
Based at our Burnaby office and travelling to sites daily, you'll be a resourceful handy-person capable of completing a wide variety of electrical, plumbing and carpentry maintenance and emergency repair tasks. With great communication skills and a tactful and professional manner, you'll be able to size up situations quickly, provide training to non-profit housing partners and help maintain a stable living environment for BC Housing tenants. You may also be called upon to help resolve conflict and refer tenants - some of whom face complex health or social issues - to other members of our multi-disciplined teams.
As a key member of our Operations team, your day-to-day tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Repairing/replacing receptacles, ballasts, switches, fans, electrical fixtures, baseboard heaters, change breakers, smoke alarms, thermocouples, and damaged wiring.
- Repairing/replacing plumbing fixtures including toilets, sinks and basins, water lines, and sanitary and storm piping.
- Replacing countertops, cupboards, wall tiles, and sheet vinyl, and installing doors, replacing locks on doors and windows, and repairing railings.
- Cleaning gutters and debris from roofs, replacing shingles, flashing repairs and emergency patching and caulking, snaking drains with power augers, and repairing and constructing fences, gates and concrete sidewalks, patios and ramps.
- Operating a BC Housing vehicle including trailers to load, unload, and deliver materials, tools, equipment, and/or employer assets.
- Performing routine repairs and maintenance to appliances, equipment and HVAC equipment.
- Redirecting contractors where minor deviations in the performance of work specifications are noted and reporting on major deviations in contract performance on modernization and improvement delivery programs.
- Ensuring adherence to safety procedures/practices when dealing with hazards.
- Utilizing tact and diplomacy, as required, when referring tenants to other staff and occasionally exercising interpersonal and conflict resolution skills when dealing with tenants with complex health and social issues when other resources are not available.
- Responding to emergencies including non-maintenance calls when the Building Manager is not on site and making emergency repairs or calling emergency services (police, fire, mental health).
- Performing minor electrical, plumbing and carpentry maintenance and emergency repair duties listed for Building Manager in Appendix B, Part 1, such as hanging fuses, resetting thermostats, snaking drains, and replacing hardware.
- Maintaining your own inventory of tools. Though employees will receive a tool allowance of $500 annually to cover the replacement cost of personal tools as per article 11.16 in the Maintenance Service division of the collective agreement. On Call Allowance is also provided.
Of course, no two days are likely to be the same in this role. If you're seeking a rewarding opportunity that offers lots of challenge, collaboration and a healthy work/life balance, this could be the role for you!
You'll be a great fit for this role if you have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, sound judgment and previous maintenance experience -
ideally two years' experience in a similar role. A relevant trade qualification is considered an asset, but not essential for success in this role.
Most importantly, we're seeking candidates who share the values of our organization and who are committed to helping those in need. You'll also be proficient with computers and able to submit work order electronically. You'll be provided with a company vehicle for work-related use and to take home, but you must be able to supply your own tools.
Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 BC driver's license, satisfactory driving record and ability to travel throughout the Lower Mainland is required.
The benefits of joining a Top Employer!
We didn't become one of BC's Top Employers and one of Canada's Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Upon joining BC Housing, you'll be warmly welcomed into our supportive and collaborative workplace that balances engaging and challenging work with personal downtime and wellness initiatives.
All of our employees are rewarded with a competitive remuneration package and a host of great benefits, including:
- Paid BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) and Extended Health and Dental
- Short-term illness and injury plus long-term disability benefits
- Group life insurance and AD&D
- Public Service Pension plan
- Employee and Family Assistance program
- Professional training, development and career progression opportunities
- Generous maternity and parental leave top-up payments
- Three weeks' annual vacation plus a modified work week option and additional paid personal days
We're also a social and inclusive team that values open communication and transparency. We ensure that all of our team members have a voice and that their opinions are heard and actioned. We genuinely appreciate the amazing effort that our people go to each and every day and we also have Reward and Recognition programs that reward great effort, long service, environmental awareness, good ideas, and positive change.
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today!
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online at: https://www.bchousing.org/careers/current-opportunities (Please search for "3051" in the keywords search box at the top of the page to find this job)